Search This Blog

Logic Masters India - April 2011 Puzzle Test

Logic Masters India announces the April 2011 Puzzle Test 'Twist'. It was held on 9th-10th April, 2011.
The author of the puzzles is Deb Mohanty.

Championship Page
Download Instruction Booklet
Download Puzzle Booklet
Password is M201104P_t3istED
Forum

The puzzles that appeared in the test are:

1. Odd Skyscrapers
2. Toroidal Rectangles
3. 2-Loop Masyu
4. Light Up
5. No 3 In Minesweeper
6. 3's Fence
7. Hitori Sum
8. L&M&I
9. Double Easy As ABCD
10. Missing Breakpoints
11. No-3-Consecutive Sudoku
12. 3 Cell Arrows

Results

1. Thomas Snyder (USA) - 736.0
2. Ulrich Voigt (Germany) - 641.8
3. Hideaki Jo (Japan) - 621.0
4. Palmer Mebane (USA) - 566.0
5. Florian Kirch (Germany) - 499.8
6. Shinichi Aoki (Japan) - 479.5
7. Nikola Zivanovic (Serbia) - 473.6
8. Rohan Rao (India) - 469.1
9. Michael Ley (Germany) - 455.4
10. Kota Morinishi (Japan) - 448.0

Best Indians

8. Rohan Rao - 469.1
47. Rakesh Rai - 266.6
61. Rajesh Kumar - 241.3
80. Harmeet Singh - 173.8
82. Prasanna Seshadri - 171.8

Complete Results

Before
Every puzzle has a twist! Very interesting puzzle instructions. I'm looking forward to this test after a below par performance in Hybrids and Zoo.

The new timing structure is a nice idea. It will motivate and give a chance for more players to solve all the puzzles and complete the set. Maybe this is a start to a new trend :-)

L&M&I and Toroidal Rectangles is my pick of the set. Rectangles look scary to me, but they have very few points compared to others, so I guess they would be easy. Well, I hope so.

Good luck to all participants!


After
What a test! Absolutely fantastic set of puzzles. One of the most beautiful puzzle sets I've ever solved. The test reminded me a lot of Evergreens1 and Evergreens2, yet it had its own essence, so beautifully stuffed into the puzzles.

Skyscrapers were excellents.
Toroidal Rectangles was my weak point and it just proved to be the case. I just couldn't get through the big one, though it was my blind eye that missed an easy opening.
2-Loop Masyu was beautiful. I especially liked the small one. I started solving these using the standard rules, and when I thought I was done, I realised my solution had just one loop! I had to search for a place where I could 'open' the loop and 'close' it the other way. This puzzle made my spirits go high.
Light Up was nice. The small one used the concept of 'put as many' while the big one was a 'fit these'.
Minesweeper was average. I made a silly mistake in the small one and the big one could have definitely been better, since 40% of the grid solves without using the 'twisted' rule.
Fence and Hitori were fun.
L&M&I was my favourite puzzle of the set. The concept was nice but the execution was perfect. Both the grids were of top quality.
Double Easy as ABCD and Arrows weren't my favourite. I scraped through the Double but couldn't crack either of the Arrows.
Missing Breakpoints was undoubtedly the toughest puzzle of the set. Just 6 players solved it correctly.
No 3 Consecutive Sudoku was easy according to me. Maybe cause I'm more sudoku-friendly :-)

Congrats to Deb Mohanty for such a great set of puzzles. Congrats to Thomas for an exceptional performance! And some applause for me. My first top-10 finish in an LMI Puzzle Test! It feels nice to be at the top, at least occassionally :-) I'm dreaming of a top 3 some day...

1 comment:

Deb said...

The logo is transparent background. How did you manage a white background?

You can download the logo from http://logicmastersindia.com/M201104P/M201104P_logo.png upload to your blog.